Mr George Tucker arrived in Torquay in the 1860s and was the first shoemaker for the area. Pictured here is his shop on the Esplanade. Sadly, in 1892 a fire broke out in the early hours of the morning , resulting in the destruction of the shop and a nearby coach-house and bake-house. It was thought the fire was caused by ‘rats scratching matches’.
Image: BSMC Collection