In 1914 at St Paul’s Church in East Devonport, Winifred Annie Winspear married Harry Yvon Bovill.
The wedding and reception were extravagant, with pricey extras ranging from a fur edged train on Winifred’s dress, to a 4 tier wedding cake.
The newspaper article pictured to the right reads below;
At St. Paul’s Church, East Devonport, yesterday afternoon, Winifred Annie Winspear, second daughter of Mr. and Mrs. W. D. Winspear, of “Warkworth,” and Harry Yvon Bovill youngest son
of Mr. and Mrs W. E. Bovill, of “Thorn-hill,” East Devonport, were united in the holy bonds .of matrimony by the Rev. H. B. Atkinson. A large crowd gathered at the church to witness the ceremony, the bride and bridegroom both being very popular, and a large number were unable to gain admittance. The church was prettily decorated by the girl friends of the bride. The bridesmaids were Miss Mona Winspear (sister of bride) and Miss Doris Hart, of Westbury, whilst Mr Norman Rolles Powell was best man. Mr. Willie Win-spear acted as groomsman, Miss Lucy Winspear and Miss Persis Loane were maids of honour, and preceded the bride into the church, carrying a handsome hand-painted silk cushion for the bride to kneel on, the gift of Miss Cocker). The bride, who was given away by her father, was handsomely gowned in dainty white silk with pearl trimming, court train, edged with fur, and she wore the usual bridal wreath and veil. She also wore a gold cable bangle, and carried a shower bouquet (the gifts of the bridegroom). The bridesmaids wore very pretty frocks of pale turquoise crepe-de chene over soft shrimp pink, and carried shower bouquets of cactus dahlias in autumn tints (the gifts of Miss Lillico), and wore gold bangles (the gifts of the bridegroom). After the ceremony a reception was held at “Warkworth,” the guests being received by the host and hostess at the entrance to the hall, and proceeded to the drawing room to congratulate the bride and bridegroom, and view the many handsome and costly wedding presents. The wedding tea was served in a spacious marquee, and after the usual toasts were duly honored, the bride proceeded to cut the handsome four-tier wedding cake, which was the manufacture of Mr. J. H, Stanton, of Devonport. The happy couple left amidst showers of confetti by motor for their honeymoon. The bride’s going away dress was a navy coat and skirt, and hat en suite.”
Image Credit: BSMC-2019-4070a, Bovil – Winspear Wedding, East Devonport 25 March 1914